today's posted documents
- Cuba: U.S. Restrictions on Travel and Remittances -- Click to view this document
- Assistance to Firefighters Program: Distribution of Fire Grant Funding -- Click to view this document
- Recess Appointments: A Legal Overview -- Click to view this document
- Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response: The SAFER Grant Program -- Click to view this document
- Child Support Enforcement Program Incentive Payments: Background and Policy Issues -- Click to view this document
- Trends in Discretionary Spending -- Click to view this document
- United States Fire Administration: An Overview -- Click to view this document
- Broadband Deployment: Legal Issues for the Siting of Wireless Communications Facilities and Amendments to the Pole Attachment Rule -- Click to view this document
Burma's Political Prisoners and U.S. Sanctions
Since his appointment in April 2011, President Thein Sein has granted amnesty to selected prisoners on four separate occasions. In total, the Union Government has released 28,244 prisoners, of which 632 were political prisoners, according to the AAPP(B).
The State Department is actively discussing the political prisoner issue-including the definition of political prisoners-with the Burmese government, opposition political parties, and representatives of some ethnic groups. In these discussions, U.S. officials emphasize the importance of the release of all political prisoners for the removal of U.S. sanctions on Burma.
The status of Burma's political prisoners is likely to figure prominently in any congressional consideration of U.S. policy in Burma. Congress may choose to examine the political prisoner issue in Burma either separately or as part of a broader review of U.S. policy towards Burma. Congress may also consider taking up legislation-on its own or in response to a request from the Obama Administration-to amend, modify, or remove some of the existing sanctions on Burma.
This report will be updated as circumstances require.
This package includes following files:
|#||File Name||Document Date||Order ID:||Number of Pages||Price|
|1||R42363.pdf||Mar 01, 2012||R42363||14||$29.95||Add to Cart|