- Tax Reform in the 113th Congress: An Overview of Proposals -- Click to view this document
- The U.S. Science and Engineering Workforce: Recent, Current, and Projected Employment, Wages, and Unemployment -- Click to view this document
- The DHS S&T Directorate: Selected Issues for Congress -- Click to view this document
- Sequestration at the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA): Air Traffic Controller Furloughs and Congressional Response -- Click to view this document
- Status of Federal Funding for State Implementation of Health Insurance Exchanges -- Click to view this document
- Pesticide Use and Water Quality: Are the Laws Complementary or in Conflict? -- Click to view this document
- Japan-U.S. Relations: Issues for Congress -- Click to view this document
- Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Georgia: Political Developments and Implications for U.S. Interests -- Click to view this document
Iran: U.S. Concerns and Policy Responses
The Obama Administration identifies Iran as a major threat to U.S. national security interests. This perception is generated by suspicions of Iran's intentions for its nuclear program- heightened by a November 8, 2011, International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) report-as well as by Iran's support for militant groups in the Middle East and in Iraq and Afghanistan. U.S. officials also accuse Iran of helping Syria's leadership try to defeat a growing popular opposition movement, and of taking advantage of Shiite majority unrest against the Sunni-led, pro-U.S. government of Bahrain. Tensions have been particularly elevated since Iran's late December 2011 threat to try to choke off much of the world's oil supplies by attempting to close the Strait of Hormuz-a reaction to the imposition of significant sanctions against Iran's vital exports of oil.
For further information, including pending Iran sanctions legislation, see CRS
Report RS20871, Iran Sanctions; and CRS Report R40094, Iran's Nuclear Program: Tehran's
Compliance with International Obligations, by Paul K. Kerr.
This package includes following files:
|#||File Name||Document Date||Order ID:||Number of Pages||Price|
|1||RL32048.pdf||Mar 02, 2012||RL32048||77||$29.95||Add to Cart|